Do I have to file a tax return for my California rental property?

April 19, 2004

Subject:  Rental Property
From:  Cindy
Date:  Tue, 23 Mar 2004

Hi Michael,

I live in Illinois and my mother died, leaving me some rental property in California. I made a profit of $4,000 last year. Do I have to file a tax return for California? How do I do it? Where do we get the forms?

Thank you,


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Cindy,

You are required to file Form 540NR. You can find the forms at When income is taxable in two states, you get a state tax credit, usually on the income tax return for your resident state. Consider getting help with your income tax returns for this issue.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy