Does my mother need to pay taxes on the sale of her home?

June 15, 2005

From:  Cindy
Date:  Fri, 6 May 2005

My mother sold a house in California and moved to Georgia and bought another house. Does she need to pay estimated taxes for the sale of residence?


Date:  Mon, 06 June 2005

Hello Cindy,

Assuming this is a qualified sale of residence, your mother should be able to exclude $250,000 of gain from her taxable income. She will have to file a California income tax return to report the transaction if there is any taxable gain.

She can pay her 2005 estimated taxes based on her 2004 income tax returns, and pay the balance of the tax on April 15, 2006. The next installment is due June 15, 2005. See the instructions for Form 1040ES at and Form 540ES at

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy