Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I claim an exclusion for a home sale if I lose my job?

July 8, 2005

From:  Bryan
Date:  Sun, 26 Jun 2005


I have lived in my home for 17 months. I was just told my division of my employer company will be closing December 31, 2005, and I will be unemployed. I want to sell my home now, during the booming summer market. Will I be eligible to claim the exclusion of gain from the sale of my residence?



Date:  Fri, 01 Jul 2005

Hello Bryan,

This should qualify as an "unforeseen circumstance." Remember the exclusion is reduced when you haven't lived in the home for more than two years.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I claim an exclusion for a home sale if I lose my job?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter