Can I qualify for the exclusion of gain from the sale of a residence if my parents live there?

August 10, 2011

From:  Alexia
Date:  18 Oct 2010

My parents are living in a residence owned by me. I pay everything for the house, but I have never lived there. I want to sell the home. Can the gain qualify for the exclusion for gain from the sale of a residence?


Date:  8 Nov 2010

Hello Alexia,

No. The residence must have been your principal residence. You don't "get credit" for your parents' use of the home for this test. (Internal Revenue Code Section 121(a).)

The only exception is you get to count use by a former spouse for a residence received as part of a property division in a divorce or used by a former spouse pursuant to a divorce decree. (Internal Revenue Code Section 121(d)(3).)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy