Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Will we have to pay capital gains if we sell our house?

January 16, 2006

From:  Casey
Date:  Wed, 07 Dec 2005

My wife and I have lived in our house just under 2 years. I've been offered a ministerial position that offers housing free of charge. We stand to make between $30,000 and $40,000 on the house in equity. Will we have to pay a capital gains tax?

We live in Alabama, if that matters.



Date:  12 Dec 2005

Hello Casey,

I'm only going to discuss the federal tax law in this response. If you wait to sell the home until after you have lived in it more than two years, you will qualify for a $500,000 exclusion, and no tax will result. Since you are moving relating to a change in employment (and assuming you are moving some distance), you should also qualify for a pro-rated exclusion because of your change in circumstances.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Will we have to pay capital gains if we sell our house?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter