Will there be a tax consequence of giving part of my house?

September 23, 2005

Date:  Sun, 28 Aug 2005
From:  Karen

I own a house in my name only and want to quitclaim 50% to my significant other. Will there be a tax consequence?


Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005

Hello Karen,

Quitclaiming the interest is a taxable gift. There is no marital deduction for interests given to a significant other. If the transfer is for services rendered, it's taxable income. I recommend that you consult with an estate planning attorney to find alternative ways to provide security for your significant other.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy