Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What taxes do I need to pay when I sell my house?

January 16, 2006

Subject:  Capital gains tax
From:  Valerie
Date:  Sat, 31 Dec 2005

My mother sold her home on the beach in Southwest Florida in Spring, 2005 and purchased a duplex off the island in cash. She now has to pay capital gains tax on her profit. She’s 75 years old and a widow. She was told only $250,000 is exempt – which is the amount she paid for her new home. Does she have two years to decide whether to pay the taxes or reinvest, or does she have to pay by April 1, 2006?


Date:  Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Hello Valerie,

I suggest that you look at the report cited above. The old rules for reinvestment on sale of a residence have been repealed. The $250,000 exclusion does not relate to the reinvestment in a new residence. Any tax due should be paid by April 15, 2006. You mentioned that your mother is a widow. If her husband died after buying the former residence, she may be entitled to a basis adjustment based on his date of death value for his share of the home. Your mother should visit a local tax advisor for help.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What taxes do I need to pay when I sell my house?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter