Will my Mom have to pay income taxes if we buy her portion of our house?

September 13, 2006

From:  Anonymous
Date:  Thu, 13 Jul 2006

How do I figure more or less what I will be taxed on if I sell my rental property located in San Jose, California.


Date:  09 Aug 2006


Subtract from the sale proceeds the tax basis of the property and selling expenses, add the accumulated depreciation. This is the gain from the sale. The amount of the gain up to the accumulated depreciation may be federal taxable at 25%. Any additional gain may be federal taxable at 15%. California will tax the entire gain at 9.3%.

There may be some adjustments for these figures based on your other taxable income.

I recommend that you have a tax advisor help you with this exercise, because the facts of your individual situation are important.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy