Can I deduct mortgage interest on my girlfriend's house?

September 10, 2003

Subject:  Advice on real estate interest deduction

From:  Todd
Date:  Thu, 07 Aug 2003

I live with my girlfriend who owns the house we live in. She has no income, and I support the house. How can I deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on my return for her house? I would also like to know if I am able to claim her son as a dependent on my return.

If I can not claim the interest or taxes, how can she benefit from this if she does not have any income? Do we basically lose out on this benefit, because it will total just about $20,000 in potential deductions.



Date:  Fri, 29 Aug 2003

Hello Todd,

With your current arrangement, you can't deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes for her residence.

Based on the facts you have given me, I can't tell if you can claim the dependent exemption for her son. Maybe.

Have you considered getting married? Filing a married, joint return would handle the tax problems.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy