Can I avoid taxes on the sale of my house by buying a new home?

June 23, 2004

Subject:  Short Term Capital Gain on Sale of Home
From:  Naomi
Date:  Wed, 19 May 2004

Hello Mr. Gray,

I sold my half of a house that I had for a little over one year because the relationship ended. I heard that if you buy another home within a certain amount of time, you do not have to pay short term capital gains. Is this true? And if so, how much time do I have to buy another property?

Thank you,


Date:  28 May 2004

Hello Naomi,

No. Someone may be thinking about rules that were repealed in 1997.

However, you may qualify for an exception allowing part of the exclusion for gain from the sale of a principal residence due to an unforeseen change in circumstances. See Treasury Regulations Sections 1.121-3 and 1.121-3T or IRS Publication 523, page 15.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy