Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Is interest deductible for my equity loan?

August 25, 2008

From:  Jennifer
Date:  Tue, 29 Jan 2008

I bought a condo in San Jose in July, 2007. Financially, things happened and the condo is now in pre-foreclosure/short sale and Iím now back home with my parents. If the home is sold, it will be for a lot less than I bought it for.

With a short sale, Iím assuming I will probably receive a 1099 and have to pay taxes on the difference lost? I donít think I will qualify for the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007. With that law, I think you have to have lived in the home for at least 24 months.


Date:  04 Feb 2008

Hello Jennifer,

I just posted an update on my article on short sales and foreclosures to cover the new Act, "Tax Consequences of a 'Short Sale' of Real Estate vs. Foreclosure". (Remember California and many other states havenít conformed to the new law yet.) You donít have to have lived in the home for at least 24 months. Many of the people who are in foreclosure bought their homes recently. (But July, 2007? What were you thinking?)

However, the new Act wasnít designed for your situation. Since your mortgage was originated for the purchase of a residence in California, it is probably a non-recourse loan. This means you will be treated as selling the residence for whatever you get for it plus the debt forgiveness, which should result in a non-deductible loss, not income.

You might not be able to afford it, but you should go to a tax professional for help. Maybe Mom and Dad will help out with the fees.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What taxes do I have to pay on a short sale?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter