Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

How can I avoid being taxed on the sale of my home?

February 18, 2004

From:  Horacio
Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 2004


I have to thank you for taking the time to inform people on financial matters. Thank you. Now the reason why I am writing is because I have a question regarding taxes on the sale of a house. My wife and I just purchased a house in Olivehurst Ca. If we fix the house and decide to sell the house, is there a way we can shield the money from getting taxed heavily?

Thank you for your time.


Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004

Hello Horacio,

If you live in the home as your principal residence for more than two years, you can exclude up to $500,000 of gain. If the house is investment property, you could exchange up into another house. If you just want to sell the house after you hold it for more than a year, you should qualify for a 15% maximum federal tax rate (excluding any depreciation previously claimed.) You could spread the gain by carrying financing as an installment sale. As you can see, you have a lot of choices.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How can I avoid being taxed on the sale of my home?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter