Do I have to pay federal sales tax when I sell my house?

October 9, 2014

From:  Gary
Date:  01 Nov 2011

I received an email from a real estate broker that advised me that in 2013 a seller of real estate will have to pay a federal sales tax on the sales price. That this tax was part of the health care bill.

Any truth to this?


Date:  02 Nov 2011

Hello Gary,

There is some truth to it.

It is not a sales tax, but a Medicare tax.

The 3.8% tax will not be based on the sales price of real estate, but gains from the sale of real estate will be included in "investment income" subject to the tax.

The tax will only apply to taxpayers who have more than $200,000 ($250,000 for joint filers or $125,000 for married, filing a separate return) of adjusted gross income.

Congress may revisit the tax, probably after the Presidential Election, relating to general tax reform.

Best wishes,
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy