Can I get an exclusion on the sale of my home if I move for my job?

August 9, 2004

From:  David
Date:  Sun, 11 Jul 2004
Subject:  Taxes

My employment has been relocated to Dallas, Texas. We need to sell our residence after living here just over a year. Is the gain taxable?


Date:  Fri, Jul 30, 2004

Hello David,

There is a hardship exception when you move because of a change of employment. The exclusion is reduced. The reduced exclusion is computed by multiplying the maximum allowable exclusion ($250,000 or $500,000) by a fraction. The numerator of the fraction is the shortest of (a) the period of time the individual owned the property as a principal residence during the five-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange; (b) the period of time the individual used the property as a principal residence during the five-year period; or (c) the period between the date of the most recent prior sale or exchange to which the exclusion applied and the date of the current sale or exchange. The numerator may be expressed as days or months. The denominator of the fraction is 730 days or 24 months (to correlate with the numerator.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy