Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Should there be withholding when I sell a rental home?

April 19, 2004

Subject:  Capital Gains
From:  Ellie
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 2004

My friend just sold his rental property and had to pay withholding for capital gains taxes. I thought taxes were just paid when you filed your income taxes, and he really didn't make much.


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Ellie,

California is collecting withholding for real estate sales to help with the budget mess. Your friend should show the withholding as a tax payment on his or her California income tax return to recover any tax withheld over the actual amount owed.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Should there be withholding when I sell a rental home?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter