Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What taxes must I pay if I sell my home within 2 years?

March 8, 2004

Subject:  Follow up to a tax question

From:  Nooria
Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 2004

Good Afternoon Mr. Gray,

I have a house that I purchased in October, 2002 for $242,600, which is my primary residence. The market is really hot and I would like to buy another house in another neighborhood. What taxes would I have to pay, since I have had the property less than two years? I expect to sell the home for $325,000, and the selling expenses are estimated to be $20,000.



Date:  Mon, 01 Mar 2004

Hello Nooria,

You haven't met the holding period requirements to claim the exclusion from sale of a principal residence and haven't given a "reasonable cause" (such as a change in employment) to qualify for a partial exclusion. It appears your gain is $325,000 - $242,600 - $20,000 = $62,400. Using the maximum rates the federal tax at 15% would be $9,360 and the California tax at 9.3% would be $5,803. By waiting a few months, you could avoid these taxes entirely.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What taxes must I pay if I sell my home within 2 years?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter