In what year are property tax payments deductible?

November 29, 2004

Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2004
From:  Tony

I paid my local property taxes on my principal residence for 2003 in January of 2004 and will pay my property taxes for 2004 in December, 2004. Are both of these payments deductible on my 2004 income tax returns, since that's when they were paid?



Date:  Wed, 24 Nov

Hello Tony,

Yes. Remember that property taxes aren't deductible for the alternative minimum tax, so be sure you aren't subject to AMT when you prepay the April, 2005 installment.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy