What taxes must a widower pay on the sale of his home?

August 9, 2004

From:  Sheila
Date:  5 Jul 2004

What is the percentage of the taxes you have to pay on the money you get from selling your own home if you are a single male widower?


Date:  Fri, Jul 30, 2004

Hello Sheila,

It depends on the details of your situation. The residence should receive a basis adjustment as of the date of death of your wife, which could eliminate all gain at that point. You should qualify for the $250,000 exclusion for the sale of a principal residence if you have lived in the home during at least two years of the last five years before the date of sale. I'm hoping there will be no tax. If you have a taxable gain, the maximum federal tax rate (assuming no business use of the home or depreciation previously claimed) for long term capital gains is now 15%.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy