Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What happens if only one member of a partnership lives in a house purchased jointly?

February 28, 2006

From:  Paul
Date:  Wed, 01 Feb 2006

If two siblings jointly buy a house through a partnership in which each is a 50% partner, and one sibling uses the house as a primary residence, can that sibling benefit from the primary residence exclusion when the house is sold?


Date:  Mon, 06 Feb 2006

Hello Paul,

Owning the home as a partnership muddies the waters. I suggest the home should be owned as tenants in common (undivided interests). Then the resident owner should qualify for the exclusion.

(By the way, even though many families are buying homes this way, tax-wise itís very messy.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What happens if only one member of a partnership lives in a house purchased jointly?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter