How can my parents avoid paying taxes when they sell their house?

November 9, 2006

Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 2006
From:  John

I am in the process of buying my parents' house. They have a tax basis of $5,000 and the house is currently valued at $500,000. What is the best way to buy the home and avoid a tax burden for my parents?



Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 2006

Hello John,

Assuming this is your parents' principal residence and has been their principal residence for two of the last five years, your parents should qualify for a $500,000 exclusion. See our report, "Could your residence be the ultimate tax shelter?" I suggest that you get help from an attorney or title company with the paperwork.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy