How do I account for a sale of foreign property?

August 26, 2008

From:  Max
Date:  Sat, 18 Aug 2007


My wife is a U.S. citizen. Her parents gave her some land in Pakistan more than 10 years ago. Now she wants to sell the land and transfer the funds to the U.S.

Is this a taxable transaction? What tax rate applies?

Where can I find this on the IRS web site?

What if it was handled as a gift from her parents?



Date:  Wed, 22 Aug 2007

Hello Max,

As a U.S. citizen, your wife is subject to U.S. tax on her worldwide income. She might be eligible for a foreign tax credit for any Pakistan income tax on the transaction.

Assuming this wasn't depreciable real estate, the transaction should be reported as a long-term capital gain, eligible for the 15% maximum federal tax rate.

Also assuming the title is in your wife's name, you shouldn't try to characterize the transfer as a current gift from her parents.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy