Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What are the capital gains exemptions for house sales?

February 9, 2005

Date:  Tue, 25 Jan 2005
From:  Bo

My aunt bought a house in December, 1999. She has let my wife and me live there from that time to the present without charging us rent. If she wants to sell the house and buy another one, will she be charged tax on capital gains? What is the rate?


Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005

Hello Bo,

Since your aunt never charged you rent, it's questionable whether she can make a tax-deferred exchange for the residence. Since she never lived there, it won't qualify for the exclusion for the sale of a principal residence.

The maximum federal income tax rate that applies to long-term capital gains is 15%. State taxes can also apply. In California, net long-term capital gains are taxed at the same rate as other income. If she lives in a different state from the one where the residence is located, she may be required to file income tax returns in both states. Your aunt should consult a tax advisor about her situation.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What are the capital gains exemptions for house sales?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter