How will property without a residence be taxed?

September 13, 2006

From:  Pete
Date:  Fri, 28 Apr 2006

We purchased a home site in 2000, but never built the home. Now we want to sell the property, which has appreciated considerably over the past three years.


Date:  Fri, 05 May 2006

Hello Pete,

Your gain for selling the property will be a long-term capital gain, qualifying for the 15% federal tax rate. (California gives no break for capital gains. For most taxpayers, the applicable tax rate is 9.3%.) Since the property was never used for a residence, the gain won't qualify for the exclusion of gain from the sale of a principal residence. If you are interested in tax-deferral, you could plan a tax-deferred exchange to invest in a different piece of real estate.

If you live in California, you could have 3 1/3% of the sales price withheld for as a prepayment of California income taxes.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy