Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Are the moving expenses I was reimbursed treated as income?

October 16, 2000

Subject:  Moving expenses
Date:  Mon, 25 Sep 2000
From:  SJ


Maybe you can help,

My friend just moved from Toronto, Canada, he submitted all his moving expenses to his new employer but the employer paid him after withholding the taxes, is this treated as an income or as reimbursement for the expense involved with moving.

Kindly advise
SJ in OR


Date:  11 Oct 2000

Hello SJ,

You and your friend should get a copy of IRS Publication 521 from the IRS web site or at a local IRS office.

You can find a link on our links page.

If the reimbursement is for moving expenses that would qualify for a deduction by the employee, no withholding is required and the payment is tax exempt for the employee.

If the employee could not otherwise deduct the expenses, the reimbursement is taxable and subject to withholding.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Are the moving expenses I was reimbursed treated as income?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter