Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Will my wages be subject to California tax when I move?

August 13, 2003

From:  Edgar
Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 2003
Subject:  California Income Tax

I am moving from California to Las Vegas. I will be working from an apartment located in Las Vegas for a California business. Will my wages for work in Nevada be subject to California income tax?


Date:  Fri, 01 Aug 2003

Hello Edgar,

It doesn't appear so. When you are not a resident of California, your earned income is sourced according to where you performed the services for which you received the income. (Income that you received from all sources while you were a California resident is taxable in California.) Your employer can help you by not reporting the income as California wages on your Form W-2. Get FTB Publications 1031 (Guidelines for Determining Resident Status) and 1100 (Taxation of Nonresidents and Individuals Who Change Residency) at the FTB web site, www.ftb.ca.gov, or call the Franchise Tax Board and ask for them to mail the publications.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Will my wages be subject to California tax when I move?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter