Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

If my Mom sells her house, can she claim my deceased Dad's deduction?

October 19, 2006

My dad died two years ago and now the house is in a living trust under my momís name. If she sells the house, does she get the $500,000 exemption for sale of a principal residence, or $250,000?


Date:  04 Oct 2006

$250,000. The tax basis of the property should be eligible for some tax basis adjustments that will reduce or eliminate any taxable capital gain. See a professional tax return advisor for help.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

If my Mom sells her house, can she claim my deceased Dad's deduction?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter