Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Will my Mom have to pay income taxes if we buy her portion of our house?

September 13, 2006

From:  Frank
Date:  Tue, 30 May 2006

My wife and I own our home free and clear and my mom is also on the deed. We are going to borrow $20,000 against the house and pay my mother $10,000 to get her name off the deed. Will she have to pay income taxes for this transaction? The finance company says the interest rate will be 12% because of our credit. Can we get a better rate?


Date:  Wed, 14 Jun 2006

Hello Frank,

Sales between family members are complex. You should have an appraisal to determine the fair market value of your motherís share. Assuming itís $10,000 and that the home is her principal residence, there will be no tax. If the home isnít her principal residence, the excess of the sales price over her tax basis (tax cost) will be taxable long-term capital gain.

As to the interest rate, my best advice is to shop at other sources, including banks and savings and loans.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Will my Mom have to pay income taxes if we buy her portion of our house?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter