When do I deduct expenses to fix and maintain a property?

February 18, 2004

From:  Anonymous
Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004

I lived in a residence for two years, until October, 2003. From October, 2003 through January 15, 2004, I had expenses to fix and maintain the property. On January 20, 2004, I leased the property.

Should I deduct my expenses on my 2003 income tax return or my 2004 income tax return?

Thanks Michael.


Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004


Repair and maintenance expenses are deductible when paid starting the date you make the house available for rent. That is also the date you start depreciating the residence. Improvements like carpeting, remodeling the bathroom or new appliances must be depreciated, not deducted. Remember the deductions may be subject to limitation under the passive activity loss rules. See Publication 527, Schedule E and instructions, and Form 8582 and instructions.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy