Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

How will I be taxed on the residence interest my mother gave me?

September 13, 2006

From:  Anonymous
Date:  Sat, 01 Apr 2006

My mother added me as a joint owner of her home. I have been advised that when I sell the home after her death, I will be taxed on capital gains above the original purchase price in 1956. How can we change this situation?


Date:  Fri, 05 May 2006


I suggest that you and your mother consult with an attorney that specializes in estate planning.

When your mother added you as a joint tenant, she made a taxable gift that should be reported on a gift tax return.

I believe the advice you received was in error, but itís not wholly good news. Since you acquired your interest in the property as a gift from your mother, the entire property is includable in her taxable estate, to be reported on her estate tax return, if one is required. (Internal Revenue Code Section 2040(a).

Since the property is includable in your motherís taxable estate, the tax basis will be adjusted to the fair market value of the property on her date of death or the alternate valuation date. (Internal Revenue Code Section 1014(b)(9).)

You should help your mother get the facts about her estate tax situation, or discuss the matter with her lawyer or tax advisor. It may be the situation isnít as bad as it appears to be.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How will I be taxed on the residence interest my mother gave me?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter