Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

How can we deduct mortgage interest or property taxes on a rental property?

January 22, 2003

Subject:  question about taxes
Date:  Thu, 19 Dec 2002
From:  Ellen

This is my question. My husband had a temporary one year job. We rented out our primary residence temporarily before we moved and sold the house. Because of heavy expenses, we have a passive loss on our residence. We did not take any depreciation.

My question is whether this was a primary residence. Can we deduct any of the mortgage interest or property taxes on Schedule A, even though it was rented for virtually all of the time?

Thank you.


Date:  Fri, 03 Jan 2003

Hello Ellen,

No. The information should be reported on Schedule E, Part I. Since you sold the residence, any suspended passive activity losses are deductible in the year of the sale. I highly recommend that you get professional help in preparing your tax returns in this situation.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How can we deduct mortgage interest or property taxes on a rental property?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter