Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I claim a loss on inherited property?

August 10, 2011

From:  Ed
Date:  22 Dec 2009
Subject:  Capital Loss on Inherited Property

I inherited real property appraised at $550,000 at the time of my motherís death on February 26, 2008. I recently sold the property for $390,000 on December 21, 2009. Improvements were made to the house. The house was never occupied or rented. Can I claim this loss?



Date:  11 Jan 2010

Hello Ed,

Iím going to assume this was your motherís residence. (If it wasnít, you can clearly claim the loss.)

The situation of an inherited residence is more involved. The IRS Chief Counselís office says in SCA 1998-012 that no loss can be claimed from the sale of a decedentís personal residence unless the property has been converted to an income-producing purpose (such as a rental).

The Tax Court ruled in favor of taxpayerís claiming long-term capital losses from sales of inherited residences in two cases, Pauline Miller Estate, TC Memo 1967-44, 26 TCM 229 (1967) and H.V. Watkins, TC Memo 1973-167, 32 TCM 809 (1973). In the Watkins case, the surviving husband and children lived in the home for six months after the decedentís death before moving out and selling it.

If you decide to claim the loss, consider disclosing the authority on your income tax return and be prepared for a wrestling match with the IRS.

(By the way, I would not convert the house to a rental at this point, because the IRS will still try to limit the depreciable basis to the fair market value when it is converted to a rental.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I claim a loss on inherited property?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter