Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I rent a property from my husband to complete a 1031 exchange?

June 21, 2004

Subject:  1031 Question
From:  Helen
Date:  Sat, 24 Apr 2004

My husband and I have been married for 4 years. We have been living an a small apartment and want to live in our first home. My husband had owned an investment property for 12 years with his sister and brother-in-law. Last year, they decided to sell the property, split the sales price and go their separate ways. In order to defer the taxes, we were forced to do a 1031 exchange.

We would rather move into the property than rent it for 2 years.

I was not part of the investment property, and I was not involved with the sale of that property, but my name is on the documents for the replacement property. Can I move into the property as the renter and have only my name on the bills? Then could my husband live there, too, without being taxed?


Date:  28 May 2004

Hello Helen,

If you move into that property without renting it for some time first, you could blow up your husbandís exchange and you two will owe the tax on the sale of the apartments. Either you will have to be patient or "bite the bullet" and pay the tax.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I rent a property from my husband to complete a 1031 exchange?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter