Do I have to pay taxes on a property my parents gave me?

August 21, 2008

From:  Kate
Date:  18 Mar 2008

My elderly parents have deeded a condo to me that I have been renting from them for the past 10 years. Will I pay taxes other than regular property taxes on this?


Date:  25 Apr 2008

Hello Kate,

Assuming you're a U.S. person, the receipt of gifts is not subject to income tax. Your parents should file gift tax returns for the transfer.

(Generally I don't favor gifts of appreciated real estate by elderly parents to their children. If a reader is considering making such a gift, be sure to get tax and legal counsel before going ahead.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy