Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Do I need to pay tax on debt forgiveness?

August 10, 2011

From:  Wendy
Date:  25 Nov 2009

Hi Michael,

My friend purchased a condo 4 or 5 years ago for $310,000. She used it as a rental property. The market value of the condo kept decreasing each year and the renter failed to pay the rent. She couldnít make the mortgage payment.

The condo was sold in a short sale for $120,000 and the bank forgave the balance of the debt, about $280,000.

Does she need to pay tax on the debt forgiveness? If so, can she deduct the loss from the sale of the property?



Date:  7 Dec 2009

Hello Wendy,

Your friend may have cancellation of debt income but also might qualify for an exclusion due to insolvency. She also might qualify to claim a deductible loss for the sale of the property.

I actually donít have enough information to answer your question, including whether the debt was recourse or non-recourse. For more information, see my article on Short Sales and Foreclosures at www.realestateinvestingtax.com/shortsale.shtml and IRS Publication 4681 at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf. Your friend needs to consult with a tax advisor and possibly a real estate attorney.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Do I need to pay tax on debt forgiveness?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter