Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I use the home sale exclusion for my rental property if I move there?

May 14, 2004

From:  Lew
Date:  Fri, 25 Apr 2004

I am planning to sell my principal residence this year and claim the $500,000 exclusion. If I move into my rental property and use it as a principal residence for more than two years, will I be able to claim the exclusion if I sell the former rental property?


Date:  Fri, 30 Apr 2004

Hello Lew,

Yes. Remember the exclusion doesn’t apply to accumulated depreciation claimed while you rented the property.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I use the home sale exclusion for my rental property if I move there?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter