Are there exceptions to the residence rule for a home sale exemption?

March 5, 2003

Subject:  Capital Gain issue
From:  Mario
Date:  Fri, 17 Jan 2003


I was wondering about a situation that I'm going through at the moment. I have a 1 bedroom/1 bath condo and I'm selling it. I was told by a real estate lawyer that if I sell and do not exceed the $250,000 profit mark, that I would not have to pay any capital gain tax on it. I plan on making about $30,000, and will not be there 2 years until June of this year. I was told that I would have to stay in my primary residence for 2 years, without paying capital gain tax. Is this correct?



Date:  5 Feb 2003

Hello Mario,

That is the general rule. The IRS has just issued guideline for exceptions to the rule where you can qualify to use a portion of the exclusion, such as if you have to sell the house because of a health-related issue or because you need to move because of a change of employment. If you don't have any "extenuating circumstances" and want to avoid paying tax on the gain, wait until you meet the two-year residency requirement before selling the residence.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy