Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I do a tax-deferred real estate exchange?

December 10, 1999

Subject:  Specific tax informaiton
From:  Alfred VanOosbree
Date:  Sun, 7 Nov 1999

Mr. Gray:

I have a condo with zero basis and a $60,000 first TD. I am interested in a 1031 exchange if possible, but wonder what the tax implications would be under the following scenario.

First of all I realize I have a "loan over basis" situation. Therefore:

If I find a higher priced property with a loan larger than my current one, can I defer the recapture situation and transfer my basis (with a subsequent lowering of what the new basis might be)? Of course, I'm assuming a 1031 transaction.

In the event I need a take out buyer (Missouri Waltz) is there any way the take out buyer can help me with this tax situation?

The approx. market value of the condo is $70,000, located in Palm Springs, Calif. with excellent financing, i.e. 7.75%, fully assumable, no qualifying, no prepay, until 2013.

Than you for any response you might care to make.

Alfred A. VanOosbree


Hello Alfred,

Thanks for writing.

It is possible to make a 1031 exchange in your situation.

With the potential gain being only $70,000, I wonder if it's worth the trouble and expense.

The mortgage over basis situation that you point out is mostly an issue if you want to make an installment sale, but "wrap around" deals are still possible.

I recommend you consult with a local tax advisor about your situation.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I do a tax-deferred real estate exchange?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter