Is residential accumulated depreciation taxed as ordinary income?

September 13, 2006

From:  John
Date:  27 Apr 2006

I believe an article that I read on your site is misleading. Isn’t gain up to the accumulated depreciation for a residence taxable as ordinary income?


Date:  05 May 2006

Hello John,

No. It is long-term capital gain taxed at a special tax rate. Assuming the residence has been held more than one year, the (straight-line) depreciation is subject to tax at a higher rate (25%) than other long-term capital gains (15%). Generally, the gain up to the accumulated depreciation is not eligible for the exclusion for sale of a principal residence.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy