Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Can I live in California and have a Delaware LLC?

July 31, 2007

From:  Mike
Date:  Fri, 20 Jul 2007

I live in California and recently made a 1031 exchange of a duplex to three different "TIC" properties in other states.

I have LLCs holding each of the properties. The "principal business office" for the LLCs is my California residence, and the "Registered Office and Agent" is in Delaware. I make no decisions concerning the management of the properties, but I do have voting rights over the management company and sale of the property.

Do these LLCs have to be registered in California and then pay the $800 yearly minimum tax plus fees? I was originally told that using the Delaware LLC and having the registered office in Delaware would avoid this.


Date:  Thu, 26 Jul 2007

Hello Mike,

The State Board of Equalization has upheld the Franchise Tax Board position that, since the managing member of the LLC is located in California, the LLC is subject to California tax.

The $800 fee isnít currently in dispute, but a San Francisco District Court has ruled the California LLC "fee" based on gross income, without apportionment, is an unconstitutional tax. The current "party line" is to pay the fee to the Franchise Tax Board and file a protective claim for refund.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Can I live in California and have a Delaware LLC?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter