Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What tax is due when a parent quit claims a property to their child?

August 9, 2004

From:  Keith
Date:  Fri, 9 Jul 2004
Subject:  Quit Claim and Property Taxes

What tax is due when a parent quit claimed a California rental property worth $500,000 to a son in 2003?


Date:  Fri, Jul 30, 2004

Hello Keith,

This is a taxable gift. The tax depends on how much of the lifetime exemption equivalent was used before the gift. The lifetime gift tax exemption is $1 million. The transaction is reported on Form 709.

Remember to claim the exemption from reassessment for a change of ownership for a transfer from a parent to a child. Call the county assessor's office in the county where the property is located for the form and instructions.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

What tax is due when a parent quit claims a property to their child?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter