Will I have to report a capital gain for selling my residence?

September 21, 2005

Date:  Thu, 18 Aug 2005
From:  Francesca

Will I have to report a capital gain for selling my co-op residence? I lived there just under two years and bought a bigger house. The gain would be under $200,000.


Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005

Hello Francesca,

Unless you qualify for one of the exceptions for a partial exclusion, such as selling the home relating to being employed in another location or relating to a divorce, you have not met the requirements for the exclusion and the gain is taxable.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy