Can I do a 1031 trade for a just-constructed property to be used for rental purposes?

November 13, 2002

From:  Kinne
Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 2002

Would it yet be possible to do a 1031 trade with a rental property for a just-constructed property (residence not built by me, the potential buyer) to be used for rental purposes? Or would it have had to be rented already?



Date:  Fri, 01 Nov 2002

Hello Kinne,

Yes, provided you don't use the property as a personal residence and start renting it shortly after the exchange is completed. (The replacement property can even have been someone else's principal residence and converted by the buyer to a rental after the exchange is completed.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy