Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

How can I reduce the taxable income from selling my principal residence?

April 19, 2004

Subject:  Federal and State Tax Consequences of principal Residence Sale
From:  Mark
Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004

My wife and I have lived in our home as our principal residence for six years and are now selling it for a net gain of $690,000. Are there any methods to avoid Federal and California tax consequences on the $190,000 in excess of the $500,000 exclusion?

Thanks again,


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Mark,

The $190,000 is a taxable long-term capital gain. Remember the federal tax rate for this will only be 15%. If you have any investments that you can sell for capital losses, sell them this year and offset the losses against the taxable gain.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How can I reduce the taxable income from selling my house?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter