Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

How should I figure capital gains on real estate?

June 5, 2002

Subject:  capital gains
Date:  Fri, 17 May 2002
From:  LL

HELP, I am confused! I own one million dollars woth of real estate, have a house on the property, and have made 250 thousand in improvements to the 10 acres in 25 years. The buying cost was $140,000.

There's a $25,000 homestead exemption in Florida. How do I figure capital gains?

Thanks, LL in Florida


Date:  Mon, 3 Jun 2002

Hello LL,

Either get a referral from a friend or look up "accountants-certified public accountants" or an enrolled agent (EA) under "tax return preparation" in the yellow pages and pay someone to help you. Thatís their function.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How should I figure capital gains on real estate?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter