Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Must I report capital gains on a real estate sale in a foreign country?

November 9, 2006

Subject:  Taxes on foreign transactions
Date:  Mon, 09 Oct 2006
From:  Aruna

Is it required to report capital gains on the sale of real estate in a foreign country, even if the tax obligations for the foreign country are fulfilled? If yes, is it possible to get a tax credit for the foreign tax paid?

Thank you


Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 2006

Hello Aruna,

U.S. citizens and residents of the United States are taxable on their worldwide income. Sales of properties located outside the U.S. by a U.S. citizen or resident should be reported on the U.S. income tax return. There may be a credit available for tax paid to the country where the property is located. You should probably get help from a professional tax return preparer on this matter.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Must I report capital gains on a real estate sale in a foreign country?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter