Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

What happens if I make an early withdrawl from my IRA to pay for my ex's half of the house?

July 12, 2004

Subject:  capital gain
From:  Debbie
Date:  Sat, 26 Jun 2004

I had a property quick-claim deeded to me. I made payments on the mortgage, which the sellers kept in their names. After living in the home for 13 months, I am going to sell it. I don't want to commute more than an hour each way anymore. Do I owe tax on the profit, which will be $90,000 less selling costs and the down payment on a new purchase?

Thank you,


Date:  Fri, 2 Jul 2004

Hello Debbie,

Yes. The capital gain should qualify for the 15% maximum federal rate. The down payment for a new purchase does not reduce your taxable gain. Most states, including California, give you no tax break for long-term capital gains, so the gain may be taxable at the same rate as other income on your state income tax return. If you could hold out until you've lived in the home for more than two years, you can avoid the tax entirely.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Do I owe tax on the profit of a house I lived in for 13 months?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter