Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Real Estate Short Sale Forgiveness of Debt

August 10, 2011

From:  Phil
Date:  12 Feb 2011
Subject:  did a short sale and got a 1099-s form

I did a short sale on my residence last year. I bought it for $380,000 and sold it for $230,000. The bank said they would forgive my debt, but I received a 1099-S form for $150,000. Do I have to report this?


Date:  9 Mar 2011

Hello Phil,

The figures donít seem to jive.

Form 1099-S is the form for reporting the gross proceeds from the sale of real estate. The form should show the $230,000 sales price of the home. You should report the sale of your residence on Schedule D, but limit the loss to zero as a personal use asset.

If you received a Form 1099-C for cancellation of indebtedness that qualifies for the exclusion for cancellation of qualified indebtedness for a principal residence, it is reported using Form 982. Check the box at Part I, item e and indicate the amount at Part I, item 2. See my article on short sales and foreclosures at www.realestateinvestingtax.com/shortsale.shtml.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

How do you report K-1 real estate rental income from an LLC?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter