Can I make a Section 1031 exchange for homes in Puerto Rico for homes in California?

August 12, 2011

From:  S.
Date:  22 Mar 2009
Subject:  1031 exchange on vacation home

I am a resident of California. My husband and I own two beach condos in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory. The first condo was always used as a vacation home and never rented. We have claimed the second home as a second residence to deduct the mortgage interest. It was never rented, either.

We are thinking of selling the first condo. Taxes will be withheld for Puerto Rico capital gains tax.

Can we make a Section 1031 exchange for another property located in California?

Thanks for your advice.



Date:  6 Apr 2009

Hello S.,

No. Vacation homes generally don’t qualify for Section 1031 exchanges.

As a side note, property outside the United States is not like-kind to property inside the United States. Although Puerto Rico is not part of the United States, the IRS privately ruled that real property located in the Virgin Islands was like kind to property located in the United States. (Letter Ruling 200040017.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy