Can I exchange a rental property for my primary residence?

February 18, 2004

Subject:  1031 Exchange

From:  Raquel
Date:  Wed, 07 Jan 2004

I was wondering what the process of converting a 1031 exchange to a primary residence is.

I recently exchanged a property I inherited for another and have rented it out for about 6 months. I am having a tough time keeping renters in there as the market value for the rent is very high. I thought perhaps I could move in there and rent out the home I am living in. Is that possible?

Thank you,


Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004

Hello Raquel,

Messy, but possible.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy