Tax Articles
Introducing Our Firm
Our Services
Real Estate Taxletter
Need Help?
Other Websites
Site Map

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+

Must I report a 1031 exchange?

August 10, 2011

From:  William
Date:  14 Jun 2010
Subject:  Real Estate Tax Handbook

I am reading your book (Real Estate Tax Handbook – 2008 Edition). A sub-heading in the chapter on 1031 exchanges asks the question, “Is an election required?” Does this mean that if a taxpayer were to perform an exchange through an intermediary, he or she must report an exchange on his or her income tax return?


Date:  2 Jul 2010

Hello William,

Yes. Section 1031 is not an elective section. If you structure a transaction as a tax deferred exchange, it must be reported as one.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained on this website was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Must I report a 1031 exchange?

Home | Real Estate Taxletter | Articles | FAQ | Introducing Michael Gray, CPA | Need Help? | Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St., Suite 102
San Jose, California 95128-4512
(408) 918-3162
Fax (408) 998-2766
email: mgray@taxtrimmers.com
© 2016
Subscribe to
Michael Gray, CPA's
Real Estate Tax Letter